It's nearing the end of the first month of 2010 and it's time to take the first glance at how I'm doing on my 40 in 2010. Below are the 40 goals I set for the year - some business related and some personal. I've written updates in italics beside the ones that have anything to update! So far, it looks like I've completed at least 3 of my goals and made great strides towards completing a few others. At this rate, I just might get them all done! 1. Read the Bible and pray with my wife every day - still not happening everyday, but it's happening more than before
2. Teach something new to each of my kids every day - this has been fun! We've covered everything from star constellations to the basics of playing baseball.
3. Create a monthly email newsletter
4. Host two Beyond the Snapshot workshops
5. Design two studio sample albums
6. Go on a date with my wife at least once per month (but hopefully more!)
7. Set up the photo booth at a large party that is not a wedding reception
8. Second shoot at two weddings
9. Design a wedding photography planning guide for clients - I made huge steps towards completing this earlier this week!
10. Participate in Help Portrait next Christmas
11. Improve the look of our business cards
12. Buy a new telephoto zoom lens
13. Subscribe to a fashion magazine for posing ideas - no magazine yet, but I found some cool blogs
14. Create regular blog entries – techniques, favorite image of the month, etc
15. Enter some photos in a contest
16. Perfect a salsa recipe
17. Get one of our wedding collections published - DONE! Our Halloween wedding from 2009 will be in the Fall issue of VA Bride Magazine! We're hoping to get some more published, though.
18. Learn to play a jazz song on the piano
19. Do a portrait shoot for my grandparents
20. Do a portrait shoot for my brother and his family
21. Perfect a hummus recipe
22. Start posting videos on my blog
23. Book and shoot 20-25 weddings - we have 5 booked for June, July, and October and several others in the works. This is 4 more than we had booked this time last year (and we ended up shooting 9 total last year)! The exciting part is that all 5 we've booked so far have been through personal referrals...we're still not spending a dime on advertising.
24. Book and shoot 15-20 portrait sessions
25. Begin sending out anniversary cards to past clients
26. Have past clients write guest entries on my blog
27. Send images to wedding vendors I have worked with this year
28. Get some canvas prints made for our house
29. Begin selling fine art prints of my photography
30. Go camping
31. Send photos of our kids to our extended family on a regular basis
32. Look into hiring an intern for the summer
33. Go on a photo walk either by myself or another photographer once a month - I got to go shoot with my friend Patrick last weekend while visiting Charlotte, NC!
34. Partner with a local charity to provide monetary support and photographic services
35. Improve the packaging of DVDs we give to clients - I ordered and received some cool metal cases. Now I'm waiting on the logo stickers!
36. Get stickers with our logo printed - In the process of working with the marketing company.
37. Create a photo book of photo booth images
38. Update our print portfolio to show potential clients - Done! I'm so glad I got the new prints made. I am so much more excited to meet with potential clients now - especially with the few metallic prints I threw in there! Very cool.
40. Submit photos for publishing in JPG Magazine for every issue